How to Use Imagery and Self-Hypnosis for Sports
Now it has been proved in researches that improving sports performance and healing process is possible using specific mental skills, visualization, and self-hypnosis techniques.
Self-hypnosis or visualization is a technique used by psychologists to help individuals mentally rehearse or visualize the desired event. This technique involves using senses to crate imaginary experiences feeling real. All the senses are used to create a real experience of the desired outcome.
How to Use Self Hypnosis For healing
if you are trying hypnosis for the first time, then it will be helpful for you to have a practitioner or skilled facilitator with you to walk you through the process. This is called guided imagery. You can take the help of tapes or CDs and record your own script and use it as a guide. When you become comfortable with your techniques, you can practice these techniques easily.
- Sit comfortably in a place where there will be no interruptions.
- Relax your body and take slow and long breaths.
- Keep your eyes closed and create a convincing and vivid image in your mind. This can be something you have experienced before or something that you desire.
- If you get distracted or start thinking about something else, acknowledge it and just let it go.
- If you lose the image, keep focusing on breathing.
- Always maintain a positive attitude
- Imagine the sound, taste, sight, and feeling of that experience.
- Take notes of every small and big detail of the scene. What are you wearing, what are your hearing, who is there with you, and how it makes you feel?
- If your self-hypnosis session is not going the way, you planned. Open your eyes and start again with breathing.
- Make sure you always end imagery sessions on a positive image.
An athlete gets many opportunities to try sports hypnosis by creating many imageries and self-hypnosis techniques. Hypnosis for recovery and hypnosis for sports performance anxiety are some of the basic reasons for using this technique.
Why does self-hypnosis seem to work?
Mainly mental block arises from the subconscious mind, and thoughts and studies prove that your performance varies depending on the mental state—positive energy and motivation to win work in favor of winning the game and face all odds. Self-hypnosis works in the same exact way. Sports hypnosis or self-hypnosis can motivate you to do better and win the game.
Misconceptions about self-hypnosis
Self-hypnosis does not mean:-
- Unconsciousness and sleep
- Mind Control
- Mystical state of mind
What happens in a session of and after a session of self-hypnosis:-
- You become more aware of your mind and body like never before
- You are in full control of your body and mind; this co-ordination works in your favor on the grounds.
- You stay in a harmless state, which boosts the self-confidence helps in getting rid of all the mental blocks.
- After you come out of the hypnotic state, you will become more aware of the mind and body
- You will stay motivated and deliver good performance