Basic First Aid Tips for Emergency
What would you do if you face a stovetop burn? How would you handle a cut on your finger? Minor injuries happen almost every day, and we can easily treat them at home. However, in order to handle the injuries calmly, it is essential to know about basic first aid.
Information about the process of basic first aid can help you during emergency situations and can help you get through until the paramedics arrive. Here is an article with the basic first aid tips.
What is Basic First Aid?
Basic first aid refers to the basic medical care provided to someone experiencing sudden illness or injury. In certain cases, first aid includes initial support provided to an individual in the case of a medical emergency. The basic first aid support might help an individual to survive until any professional help arrives.
In some cases, first aid includes the care that is given to individuals with a minor injury. For instance, first aid is all that is required to treat minor cuts, insect stings, and burns.
How to Make a Basic First Aid Kit?
It is essential to keep a well-maintained first aid kit for treating minor injuries at home. You can either purchase a first aid kit or put the required things together. Below mentioned are some of the things that should be present in a first aid kit.
- Alcohol wipes
- Adhesive tape
- Allergy medicine
- Antibiotic ointment
- Aloe vera gel
- Bandages of different sizes
- Cold packs
- Calamine lotion
- Elastic bandages
- Hand sanitizer
- Gauze rolls and pads
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Saline wound wash
- Latex-free gloves
- Pain relievers
- Scissors and tweezers
You should check your first aid kit often as items can run out, and medicines can expire. Go through everything present in the first aid kit and remove expired items. Moreover, replace the items also.
Basic First Aid Tips
Below mentioned are basic first aid tips that can help you to handle emergencies.
Bleeding can be controlled by following the proper process. Mild bleeding can stop on its own. However, if severe bleeding is not controlled, it can lead to shock. Here are steps for first aid for bleeding.
- Cover the wound using a clean cloth or gauze.
- Put some direct pressure in order to stop the blood flow.
- Do not remove the gauze or cloth. If needed, you can add more layers. The cloth can help you to stop the flow of blood.
In order to treat the burn, you should first of all, stop the burning process. Immediately clean the chemicals. Cool the heat with running water. In case of sunburn, cover the burn or go inside.
No matter how worse it is the burn, first of all, you need to stop it before treating it. The depth and size determine the severity of a burn. Follow the below-mentioned steps to treat the burn.
- Flush the blender portion with cool running water for some time. Keep in mind not to use ice.
- Use a light gauze bandage.
- Keep in mind not to apply butter, oily remedies, butter to the burn.
- If necessary. Take painkillers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- If any blisters are formed, do not break them.
It is difficult to decide whether a blister needs treatment or not. In case the blister is small, not very painful, and unbroken, it is better not to touch it. However, make sure to cover it in order to avoid pressure and continued rubbing as ut ca cause swelling and burst,
In case the blister is large and painful, follow the below-mentioned steps to treat it.
- Use a clean and sterilized need to make small punctures at the blister’s edge.
- Express the fluid.
- Now apply antibiotic ointment.
- Make sure to cover it to avoid further pressure and rubbing.
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is one of the essential medical procedures one should know. If a person is facing the issue of cardiac arrest, and you do not perform CPR, the person might die.
If you want to learn CPR, it would be better to take proper classes at a community college, fire department, or medical center. According to the guidelines for the American Heart Association and American Red Cross 2019, below mentioned are the steps you should follow (Source).
- Command a person to call the medical alert system or 911.
- Start chest compression and make sure to compress fast and hard in the center of the chest. In addition to this, allow recoil in between the compressions. As soon as any trained professional arrives, hand the task to that person.
- If you have proper training, use rescue breathing and chest compression.
- You should also use AED. Moreover, it is necessary not to delay the process of chest compression.
Like other injuries, broken bones also need to be treated. Below mentioned are basic first aid tips for fractures.
- Avoid straightening the fractured body part.
- Make sure to stabilize the limb with padding and splint in order to keep it immobile.
- Keep in mind to put a cold pack on the fractured part. Do not place the ice directly.
- Elevate the extremity.
- Use anti-inflammatory drugs such as naproxen or ibuprofen.
Many people face the issue of a blood nose sometimes. It includes bleeding from the nose as a result of trauma. Below mentioned are some basic first aid tips for a nosebleed.
- Do not back and lean slightly.
- Pinch the nose. Make sure not to pinch the nostrils closed.
- After five minutes to check if bleeding has stopped. In case the bleeding has not stopped, continue pinching the nostrils and then check after ten minutes.
- You can also opt for applying a cold pack to the nose’s bridge while pinching.
The symptoms of a sprain and broken bones are similar. If you have any doubt, the first for sprain and broken bones are the same. Follow the same steps like immobilize the limb and then apply a cold pack. Now elevate it and then take anti-inflammatory drugs. Make sure to visit the doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
When the tissues of the body freeze deeply during cold, frostbite occurs. In frostbite, the cells are damaged due to the formation of ice crystals in the tissues. It is completely opposite of the burn; however, the damage to the skin is similar.
The procedure of treating frostbite is quite difficult as it involves gradual warming. If possible, the process should be carried out by professionals. Make sure to avoid using any hot packs or any heat sources.
Bee stings can be painful or deadly if the victim is allergic to it. Below mentioned are the bee sting first aid tips that you should follow.
- Remove the stinger to prevent the delivery of more venom.
- In case the person is allergic to bee stings, call 911.
- In order to reduce swelling, use a cold pack at the site. However, make sure not to cause frostbite.
- You can also reduce itching and swelling by using an antihistamine.
- You can take painkillers to reduce the pain.
- Make sure to monitor the person by checking the signs like redness, itching, or hives in other parts of the body.
The above mentioned basic first aid tips are not very difficult and can easily save someone’s life. They can also prevent an injured person from sustaining serious infections or injuries. Make sure to refill your first aid kit timely and check for expired supplies. Keep the first aid kit at the main spot at home, like the bathroom or kitchen. If you find the above-mentioned information helpful, drop a comment.