How to Treat and Heal a Bruise
A bruise, also called hematoma or contusion, means an area of skin discoloration that occurs when the soft tissue of the skin gets traumatized. A bruise develops when beneath the skin rupture, blood vessels rupture, and blood leaks in the soft tissue are. These are very common injuries in sports with a risk of impact or collision.
- Subcutaneous: A bruise beneath the skin
- Periosteal: A bruise to a bone
- Intramuscular: A bruise within a muscle
Bruises occur suddenly many a time and can last for week or months. A bruise can cause swelling, pain, and tenderness over the blue area of the skin. When it begins healing, it changes colors from blue and black to green and yellow.
Learn different way in how to treat and heal a bruise.
Best Treatment Methods for a Bruise
The best way of treating bruises is similar to the methods followed for treating soft tissue injuries. The acronym for this is R.I.C.E which stands for:-
Rest: getting proper rest is very important for the recovery of an injury. Regardless of what is the injured are, muscle, ligament, tendon, or a bone. Any activity that causes stress or tension to the injured area should be avoided until the injury is completely recovered. Recovery time varies from injury to injury, but rest is a universal requirement for the recovery.
Ice: cold press provides short term relief to the injured area and also minimize swelling by reducing the blood flow to the injured body part. When applying ice to an injured area, never apply the ice directly to the body or skin. Wrap the ice in a paper towel or towel and then apply a cold press. The ice should not be applied to the injury for more than 15 minutes. You can apply ice several times a day for 10-15 minutes.
Compression: compression is essential for the treatment of the injury. It helps in reducing the swelling and also helps in easing the pain. Wrapping the injured part in the bandage provides consistent compression to the bruise.
Elevation: elevation helps in controlling the swelling of the injured part. Elevation works effectively when the injured body part is raised to a level above the heart. This method helps to control blood flow and reduces swelling.
Natural methods to treat bruises:-
Here are some of the most effective natural treatments for bruises:-
- Arnica- It is a homeopathic herb which is said to minimize swelling and inflammation, and is, therefore, is an effective treatment for bruises. A study found in 2010 reported that topical arnica ointment reduced laser-induced bruising effectively. You can use arnica gel or arnica ointment in the bruised or injured are of the body a few times per day. If you prefer oral medication, then you can also take arnica orally.
- Vitamin K cream- Vitamin K is an important nutrient that helps in clotting the blood. Vitamin K has been proved to reduce bruise severity caused due to laser treatments by a small study done in 2002. You can run Vitamin K cream onto the injured or bruised area 2 times a day for the treatment.
- Heat- you can also do hot press, it helps in boosting blood circulation and therefore increasing the blood flow. Applying heat onto the bruised area helps in clearing any trapped blood after the formation of a bruise. Applying hot press also helps in loosening tense muscles and provides short term relief from pain. You can use a hot water bottle or heating pad. You can also try soaking injured body parts in the hot bath if that is possible.
- Aloe Vera- aloe vera helps in reducing inflammation and pain. You can apply aloe vera on the affected body part. It is important to use pure aloe vera gel.
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, and it helps in healing the wound. You can find many different creams, serums, and gels that contain Vitamin C. you can use these to apply on the bruise topically. You can also take Vitamin C supplements orally. Make sure you eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits rich in vitamin C.
- Pineapple- a mixture of enzymes is found in pineapple called Bromelain. Bromelain helps in reducing inflammation and minimizes the severity of the bruise. You can take bromelain supplements or eat fresh pineapple. You can also apply bromelain cream and apply it topically over the bruise.
- Comfrey- Comfrey is a type of plant which is used to treat skin inflammation and ailments. Comfrey cream ha is known for its healing powers that are used to treat injuries and bruises. You can apply this cream onto the bruised area a few times per day. You can make a comfrey compress by using dried leaves of the plant. Steep the plant leaves in boiling water for about 10 minutes.