All You Need to Know About Reiki – Benefits and How Does It Work
At present, self-care has become a way of life for people. With the increasing trend of self-care, the popularity of Reiki is continuously increasing among people. It is a type of alternative therapy popularly known as energy healing.
Energy healing has been popularly used for centuries in different forms. Many people believe that this work with the energy fields present around the body of a person. There are some controversies associated with Reiki, as it is difficult to prove its effectiveness using scientific means. Despite controversies, the popularity of Reiki is continuously increasing. If you want to know more about Reiki, continue reading the article.
What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese technique for energy healing. It is a form of alternative therapy that includes the ritualized practice of “laying hands.” It includes a supposed transfer of energy in which the practitioner acts as a channel.
This type of energy healing is used as an alternative therapy with the intent to help people to alleviate the symptoms of illness and improve their overall well-being.
This form of energy healing targets the energy fields present around the body. It aims to help the easy flow of energy by removing blocks. According to the practitioners, the improved flow of energy helps to reduce pain, speed healing, encourage relaxations, and reduce the symptoms of illness.
What Happens During a Reiki Session?
Reiki is held in a calm and peaceful setting. During the session, a holistic healer focuses on unrestricted breathing and then applies hand movements to your clothed body in a calm environment.
You may experience positive sensations in the body like tingling or heating. Some people also see different visualizations like pictures or colors. During the session, try to pass everything that arises without attaching a lot of meaning to it. Your experience becomes better and deeper as you continue Reiki.
Though the practitioner holder hands lightly over or on the body, the energy transfer takes place. The hands of practitioners may be tingling or warm during the session. The hand position is continued until the practitioner feels that the flow of energy has stopped.
Different Techniques of Reiki
There are different types of techniques that are used as a part of Reiki. Some of them include:
Health Benefits of Reiki
Below mentioned are some of the health benefits of Reiki.
Reiki treatments are used as a part of treatment plans to relieve depression. A study presents evidence that Reiki helps to improve the symptoms of depression and anxiety in older adults (Source). It helps in improving physical symptoms, well-being, and mood. Moreover, it also encourages feelings of calmness, increased curiosity, relaxation, and improved levels of self-care.
Relieves Anxiety, Pain, and Fatigue
Reiki may help to reduce anxiety and pain. However, more research is required to present evidence in this regard. Reiki may also be beneficial to reduce fatigue.
Some studies present the evidence that cancer patients who receive distant Reiki along with medical care may have lower pain levels, fatigue, and anxiety (Source).
In a study conducted in 2018, Reiki was compared to physiotherapy for relieving lower back pain in individuals suffering from herniated disks. It was found that both the treatments are equally effective, and Reiki is more cost-effective. In fact, in some cases, Reiki helped in faster treatment (Source).
Reiki helps in improving mood by relieving depression and anxiety. Continuous sessions of Reiki can remarkably help people to be in a better mood by allowing the free flow of energy in the body. Moreover, it also increases the ability of the body to heal itself. It allows people to feel lighter, happier, and release stress.
Improves Life Quality
The positive benefits of Reiki include enhancing overall well-being. Reiki is helpful in enhancing the quality of life of people. It helps to improve self patterns, depression levels, and self-confidence. Moreover, Reiki encourages a sense of inner peace, calmness, and relaxation.
Improves Various Conditions and Symptoms
Reiki can also help to treat:
The relaxation response of Reiki may benefit the above-mentioned symptoms. However, particular research is required to determine the efficiency of Reiki for treating these conditions and symptoms.
How to Practice Reiki
You need to meet the practitioner before beginning the reiki session. During the meeting, make sure to discuss everything with the practitioner about the symptoms you are experiencing, your expectations, and the areas that you would like to avoid or focus on.
- A Reiki session is of around 20 to 90 minutes.
- During the session, you are asked to lie on a table or sit in a chair while fully clothed.
- The setting when the sessions take place is usually relaxing and peaceful.
- Music might also be played during the reiki session if it helps you feel better and comfortable.
- During the session, the practitioner lays hands on or over different body areas for around two to five minutes for each area.
During the reiki session, you are encouraged to stay relaxed, and there is no involvement of massage, pressure, or physical manipulation. Further research is required to understand the possible effects of Reiki on different psychological and medical conditions.
Reiki is generally considered harmless and safe, but some possible concerns are associated with it.
- Effectiveness – Some people suggest that Reiki practice is pseudoscientific.
- Safety – One of the biggest concerns associated with Reiki is the possibility that some people might use it to replace essential medical treatments that are effective for particular health conditions.
- Lack of Regulation – There is no central authority or regulatory that can determine the criteria to become a Reiki practitioner. It means there is a lack of consistent experience and training of people who offer Reiki.
Tips to Remember
Below mentioned are some points to consider if you are planning to practice Reiki.
- Reiki is considered a safe practice and is not related to any potential risks.
- Keep in mind that Reiki does not intend to cure health conditions or disease, so keep your expectations accordingly.
- Use Reiki as a complementary therapy along with other psychological or traditional treatments. Do not replace the necessary treatments with Reiki.
- Concentrate the practice as a therapy that can help you feel better when coping with mental health conditions or serious illness.
To succinctly describe, Reiki has amazing positive benefits for overall well-being. Some studies present promising results regarding benefits, but more studies are required to determine the potential benefits of Reiki.
Keep in mind that Reiki is a complementary therapy and should be taken along with necessary medical or psychological treatments. If you find the information helpful, drop a comment.